Wollongong Turf SuppliesCobbitty Turf will happily deliver to the Illawarra!
Fresh Cut Turf Delivered to Wollongong and the Illawarra
We’re no so far away, just north of Picton, so there’s no problem getting your turf quickly down the Picton Road. Our trucks are out 6 days a week. You may even have Geoff Hatton (the owner) deliver the turf to you himself!
We cut your turf and deliver it the same day. We can recommend where to get soil and help you choose the right grass variety, just give us a call on 02 4651 0000.
Read on below to find out more about turf and soil types in and around Wollongong.
Turf varieties for Wollongong and the Illawarra
There are three premium turf varieties that we grow which suit lawns in the illawarra. They each have their pros and cons to consider. Ask us if you’re not sure what to buy!
When choosing a lawn variety, these are the factors to think about:
- Shade – how much shade will your lawn get and how much sun does it need to survive?
- Water & drought – how much watering do you want to do? Some grasses do OK with minimal water.
- Maintenance – some varieties require more mowing and edging.
- Fertilising – for optimal growth and green, most varieties need fertilising every now and then. But how much?
- Wear & tear – do you have kids, dogs, or generally a lot of foot traffic on the lawn? Some handle this better than others.
- Weed resistance – will your grass out-compete weeds?
- Disease resistance – how susceptible will the variety be to lawn diseases and fungus?
- Budget – not all varieties cost the same. But bear in mind you will get a better performing lawn with a higher budget.
Sir Walter Buffalo grass is an excellent all-rounder grass variety for illawarra lawns. It really gives you the best performance in a range of conditions. This buffalo has low-allergenic soft leaves, unlike the old scratchy versions.
If you live in a house that throws a lot of shade on your yard, then this is the variety for you. It also gives a lush green luxurious look.
Our Sir Walter is the genuine variety, DNA certified by AusGAP and accredited by Lawn Solutions Australia. It comes with a 10 year product warranty.
- Very shade tolerant (only needs 3hrs sun a day)
- Resistant to drought and doesn’t need much watering
- Recovers quickly from injury and wear
- Will out-compete weeds in the warmer months
- Doesn’t need a lot of mowing and fertilising as compared to other varieties
- Great colour year ‘round
- It’s more expensive than other varieties
The Kikuyu Grass variety was originally introduced to Australia for feeding cows and sheep. It’s a vigorous grower and is the cheapest variety going. But it’s not without its faults.
Eureka Kikuyu has been bred to be the best kikuyu grass possible which is less prone to disease than older varieties. It’s also covered by the 10 year product warranty from LSA.
- Very economical
- Grows fast in full sun
- Will keep growing through autumn into early winter
- Pretty good in colder climates
- Good even colour year ‘round
- Won’t survive in shade
- Requires a lot of mowing
- Needs to be kept watered
- Can invade garden beds
Ask us a question, we're happy to help!
All our lawn turf is backed by the Lawn Solutions Australia 10 Year Product Warranty. That's an assurance of quality we're proud to stand behind!
The turf varieties at a glance
Sir Walter Buffalo DNA Certified Turf
- Shade Tolerance 90%
- Drought Tolerance 80%
- Maintenance 30%
- Fertilising Needs 60%
- Wear Resistance 60%
- Weed Resistance 80%
- Disease Resistance 90%
Developed for Australian conditions, it maintains colour during winter, does well in shade or sun and recovers from damage quickly. Sir Walter Buffalo is Australia's most popular lawn and you can't beat it for all-round performance.
- Shade Tolerance 60%
- Drought Tolerance 50%
- Maintenance 30%
- Fertilising Needs 10%
- Wear Resistance 80%
- Weed Resistance 80%
- Disease Resistance 80%
Sir Grange is a fine bladed premium turf variety, which has high shade tolerance and very low nutrient and water requirements. Sir Grange was originally developed for the golf industry but it was soon discovered that due to its characteristics, it would make a fantastic home lawn.
- Shade Tolerance 10%
- Drought Tolerance 30%
- Maintenance 70%
- Fertilising Needs 50%
- Wear Resistance 50%
- Weed Resistance 50%
- Disease Resistance 50%
An economical all rounder, vigorous grower, and is a proven performer in most Australian climates. Kikuyu does best in sunny positions, is thirsty and will need a lot of mowing in summer.
Get a Free Quote or Place an Order
Click to ask a question, get a quote or make an order!
Lawn Solutions Australia 10 Year Warranty
All our turf is backed by the unique Lawn Solutions Australia 10 Year Product Warranty. This means that you're guaranteed the best, genetically pure and weed-free turf.